Although the first recorded mention of Brooksby Church was in the Matriculus of 1220, it is believed that the Church dates back to the 10th century when the village first evolved. Brooksby was one of a few Danish settlements at that time in the area and although it is known that the Vikings were very enthusiastic church builders, no information can be found before the 13th century.
In the courts, there was a suit involving Clerebald de Brooksby and the de Villiers family in 1268. A suit was the mediaeval way of establishing a claim to something and the buying and selling of land was conducted through the courts.
Brooksby Hall was formerly the home of Earl Beatty, the Admiral of the Fleet who had defended the east coast of Britain from enemy bombardment.
He distinguished himself at the Battle of Jutland and masterminded the country’s anti-submarine strategy and developed naval convoy systems to ensure that vital supply routes were kept open.
Back in Leicestershire, his wife Lady Beatty ran a naval convalescent hospital at the house, caring for the men who served under her husband.
There’s still a reminder of the naval connection at present day Brooksby – a sea mine, which Admiral Beatty used to fire at, and a memorial at St Michael and All Angels which houses a large memorial to those killed at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.